Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: new to me authors of 2013




Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by the Brooke and the Bookish. This week's top ten was of authors that are new to me and whose books I read this year. 

10. Ingrid Paulson: I have mixed feelings about her novel, "Valkyrie Rising", but there definitely were some interesting aspects. 

9. A.C. Kavich: Her novel "The Twilight Swimmer" was really good. I'll have to keep an eye on her. 


8. Leah Rae Miller : I read her debut novel, "The Summer I Became a Nerd", which was pure fluff, but it was a lot of fun. I'll keep an eye on her for when I'm in the mood for some fluffy bit of chick lit. 


7. Michelle Diener: Her novel "Emperor's conspiracy" was one of the first books I read in 2013. Historical romance isn't usually my cup of tea, but I really loved this one.  

6. Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu: I read Le Fanu's "Carmilla" this summer and, I've got to say, it's one of the best vampire books I've ever read. He has written a lot of horror works, I'll check out some of them soon. 


5. Tom Holt: His fantasy novel "Expecting Someone Taller" was really good and hilarious. I want to read "Earth, Air, Fire and Custard" next. 


4. William Joyce: Lewis was right: a good children story has to be enjoyable for adults, too, and Joyce's "Guardians" was exactly that. The story was good, not dumbed-down and the artwork was gorgeous.  


3. Amy Spalding: Her contemporary YA novel, "The Reece Malcolm List" was an amazing read. Her second work, "Ink is Thicker Than Water" came out a couple of weeks ago and it's on my TBR list. 


2. Rainbow Rowell: It's not a mystery that I loved "Fangirl" and that "Eleanor and Park" was really good, so it's no wonder that Rowell is so high on this list. I have to read her debut novel, "Attachments", soon. 


1. Neil Gaiman: All right, I'm cheating. I read some of Gaiman's books before 2013. But I never realized how brilliant he was. I considered him an ok writer. So he did end up being the biggest author revelation of 2013 for me. 


So, what new authors did you find out about in 2013? Let me know in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. Yay for Rainbow Rowell!! I still need to get around to reading Attachments too. The Summer I Became A Nerd was such a cute read! I'm excited to see what Leah Rae Millers writes next!
    Neil Gaiman is near the very top of my to-read authors list. I really need to get around to reading one of his books soon.
    Great list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loads of people have been raving about Fangirl, I should really check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had The Summer I Became a Nerd on my TBR for a while. Definitely moving it on up my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rainbow Rowell is awesome and I love her! :D
    Linda Rae Miller was fun too, though, as you said, the book was pure fluff, which was kind of perfect for unwinding :)

    MY TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven´t read any of Rainbow Rowell or Neil Gaiman books...I need to read some of their novels soon.
    Here is My Top 10 Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely need to pick up a Neil Gaiman book next year, I've heard fantastic things about his books though. And Rainbow Rowell is awesome, enough said.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Rainbow Rowell in my list too. :) She's been great this year! I can't wait for her next book to come out. :)

    ReplyDelete