Monday, August 11, 2014

Quote-Tastic 11/08/2014




"Quote-Tastic" is a meme hosted every Monday on Herding Cats & Burning Soup . To participate you have to post a favorite quote from a current or past read. This week's quote is from "Paper Towns" by John Green. I don't like Green's books all that much, but they are really quotable, and I really loved this quote.  
When I've thought about him dying - which admittedly isn't that much - I always thought of it like you said, that all strings inside him broke. But there are a thousand ways to look at it: maybe the strings break, or maybe our ships think, or maybe we're grass - our roots are so interdependent that no one is dead as long as soneone is still alive. We don't suffer from a shortage of metaphors, is what I mean. But you have to be careful which metaphor you choose, because it matters. If you choose the strings, then you're imagining a world in which you can become irreparably broken. If you choose grass, you're saying that we are all infinitely interconnected, that we can use these root systems not only to understand one another but to become one another. The metaphors have implications.
What are your favorite quotes this week? Let me know in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. "The metaphors have implications." - Oh, I like that. It bears thinking about .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, It's nearing my bed time (my work schedule has me on a reversed clock) but I think that was entirely too deep for this shallow mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol totally snorting at Judith. I've not read Green yet. I know quite a few who love his books though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty deep. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually haven't read John Green yet. And I agree with everybody. This one's pretty deep and didn't understand majority of it LOL :)

    ReplyDelete