Friday, August 15, 2014

Book Beginning and the Friday 56 15/08/2014


Book Beginning is a meme hosted on Rose City Reader. To partecipate, you have to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. 



Friday 56 is a meme hosted on Freda's Voice. To participate, you have to post one or a few sentences from either page 56 or 56% of a book of your choosing. 










I am posting this memes together because I chose to use the same book for both of them. It's "Drink, Slay, Love" by Sara Beth Durst. 

The first sentence(s): 
"One hour until dawn," Pearl said. She leaped off the roof and landed catlike on the pavement. "Oozes of time if we steal a car." 
It's an okay beginning, but I am not a huge fan of it. It establishes the personality of our main character as a daredevil, but it's not exactly original. 

Taken from page 56 of the book: 
Snacks didn't have the right to criticize her. He was so far beneath her. In fact, he was so below her on the food chain (literally) that she wasn't going to waste a second more of daylight in thinking about him or his ill-conceived and ill-considered and all-around ill opinions. 

What about you?  Let me know in the comments!

15 comments:

  1. Love the title! Hope you enjoy it.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one. I hope you like it too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am nearly finished with it and I really liked it so far :)

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I would have to learn a bit more; thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, one can say that that the main character is very powerful and also quite full of herself. Hope you are enjoying the book. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing they're vampires, right? After reading the opening, I'd keep reading because I hate to give up on a book, but it didn't grab me. I hope you enjoy the story.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: MADE FOR TWO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the 56! I've wondered about this book before.
    Check out my Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sofia,

    Thank you for stopping by Fiction Books today. I love 'meeting' new people, so your visits and comments will always be welcome and appreciated.

    I quite like your Friday 56 lines Poor Snacks doesn't really stand much of a chance with that many 'ill's' in one sentence!

    I probably wouldn't have got as far as page 56 though, as the opening lines didn't grab me at all and knowing that this is a vampire story, means it hasn't got a lot going for it, for me personally.

    I suspect that this is exactly why it HAS received some amazing ratings and reviews, together with a some great cover art and a fairly catchy title!

    Glad you are enjoying it and thanks for sharing,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! She really thinks ill of him doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The writing is interesting and I like the cover but I'm not sure this one is for me. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this book on my wish list. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Sounds like she protests too much. I wonder who 'he' is?
    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/08/15/the-friday-56-32-waking-the-merrow-by-heather-rigney-not-so-nice-mermaids/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't blame her. I wouldn't give Snack another thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome cover and title. I don't read this genre, but I hope you totally enjoy it.

    Have a great weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete