Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Top Ten Tuesday: new to me authors of 2013
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by the Brooke and the Bookish. This week's top ten was of authors that are new to me and whose books I read this year.
10. Ingrid Paulson: I have mixed feelings about her novel, "Valkyrie Rising", but there definitely were some interesting aspects.
9. A.C. Kavich: Her novel "The Twilight Swimmer" was really good. I'll have to keep an eye on her.
8. Leah Rae Miller : I read her debut novel, "The Summer I Became a Nerd", which was pure fluff, but it was a lot of fun. I'll keep an eye on her for when I'm in the mood for some fluffy bit of chick lit.
7. Michelle Diener: Her novel "Emperor's conspiracy" was one of the first books I read in 2013. Historical romance isn't usually my cup of tea, but I really loved this one.
6. Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu: I read Le Fanu's "Carmilla" this summer and, I've got to say, it's one of the best vampire books I've ever read. He has written a lot of horror works, I'll check out some of them soon.
5. Tom Holt: His fantasy novel "Expecting Someone Taller" was really good and hilarious. I want to read "Earth, Air, Fire and Custard" next.
4. William Joyce: Lewis was right: a good children story has to be enjoyable for adults, too, and Joyce's "Guardians" was exactly that. The story was good, not dumbed-down and the artwork was gorgeous.
3. Amy Spalding: Her contemporary YA novel, "The Reece Malcolm List" was an amazing read. Her second work, "Ink is Thicker Than Water" came out a couple of weeks ago and it's on my TBR list.
2. Rainbow Rowell: It's not a mystery that I loved "Fangirl" and that "Eleanor and Park" was really good, so it's no wonder that Rowell is so high on this list. I have to read her debut novel, "Attachments", soon.
1. Neil Gaiman: All right, I'm cheating. I read some of Gaiman's books before 2013. But I never realized how brilliant he was. I considered him an ok writer. So he did end up being the biggest author revelation of 2013 for me.
So, what new authors did you find out about in 2013? Let me know in the comments!